Aqaba Development Corporation
10:45 AM PANEL DISCUSSION: Enhancing the competitiveness of MENA ports and envisioning the future of the regional economy
Port authorities are presently engaged in a number of major expansion projects aimed at increasing the capacity and competitiveness of their ports, with many new terminals and hinterland infrastructure projects underway in the region. In this session, the senior leadership from port authorities and operators will be invited to discuss what their plans are to ensure the future competitiveness of their ports.
This session will discuss:
- What can regional authorities do to ensure that they remain competitive to international shipping?
- What projects are currently underway in the MENA to achieve this?
- What future plans are in place to ensure the continued prominence of the maritime industry?
- How does geopolitical tension affect the market?
- How can regional ports minimise the risk of overcapacity?
Port operating system transformation is one of the most complex and difficult projects that ports execute in terms of cost, time and associated risks. Many ports are simply afraid to upgrade their legacy operating system; even renewals can no longer be put off as they drive an ROE improvement.
This presentation will analyse the main objections of progressive modernisation and present the most effective approach of operating system transformation to grow revenue and rebuild profitability in port.
Port operators are always on the lookout for the most effective tools to increase market share, cut costs and acquire and retain shipping lines.
The panel discussion will explain how to improve operational efficiency by reducing expenses, and generate new revenue streams through next-generation technologies.
Viewpoints of discussion include:
• Automated cranes and smart gate solutions
• Optimizing port ecosystem with IoT
• The latest cost-effective energy saving technologies
• Best cyber solutions to protect seaport data from sophisticated malware and phishing attacks